Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Rockin' The Dollar Tree

 
This Letter Recognition work is brought to you almost entirely by the Dollar Tree (and a little work by yours truly) These awesome see-through alphabet tiles are made from the flexible cutting mats that Dollar Tree (DT) sells in their kitchen utensil section. I cut each one into quarters and used a Sharpie--also available at DT--to draw on some capital ABCs.  They come in a 2-pack so I needed 4 packages to make the whole alphabet. 
The cute buttons were bought at Michaels in their dollar bins so for $4 we got about 100 bright little buttons. Not bad.
My kiddos use these letter tiles for lots of things--forming letters with playdoh, using other seasonal materials to form letters (acorns, confetti, small leaves, flowers etc.) using them to spell out words, tracing them on the light table or window to practice writing etc. 
So for a grand total of about 10 bucks we got what I thought was a LOT of materials that are fun and versatile--I try never to have toys or learning materials that can only be used in ONE way. My kids are pretty used to the phrase, "What else do you think we can do with that?"

2 comments:

Welcome! said...

This just might be the thing to get Lu convinced school is awesome. Bright buttons! How can you go wrong?
By the way, I didn't know you started a blog. Cool.

Arts, Crafts and Whatnots said...

Jess, yes the blog came about as a way to record what we've done for school and also a way to pin things to pinterest. I'm not too much of a blogger but it's been a fun sort of online "notebook" for me.